Friday, March 28, 2014

Fascination With Words.


Its obvious that I have a fascination with words. But I've never really stopped and thought much about it. When this happened, I realized that whenever I see something beautiful written, be it a poem or a passage from a book, I'm amazed. I'm amazed at the fact that someone somewhere wrote this thinking that its just something simple that they wrote. Something ordinary.  Whereas here I am, marveling at the amazing-ness of it. I guess it's the 'someone's trash is someone's treasure' case.

One of the times when this happened to me was when I was reading 'Why we broke up' by Daniel Handler. That book. *sigh*. It's one of the most peculiar books that I've read. In the good way. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. But I fell in love with it. Totally, completely and most of all, blindly, just like the girl in this book falls in love with the wrong guy. One of my favorite quotes from this book...

'I’m a blemished blemish, a ruined ruin, a stained wreck so failed I can’t see what I used to be.'

Another...

'A girl meets a boy, Ed, and everything changes, or so she says. She walks down the street and the storefronts look the same, even as we linger on their flickering reflections. The cars move quickly, slowly, quickly down the block. She gets coffee and says it tastes different, quietly, to herself. The sky looks sad, she says, but she’s not sad. It rains and she sees the boy again. The phone rings—it’s another day, or the same day, who can tell, the girl thinks with her coffee, when the whole world has changed? She gets coffee again, the cars go by, reflected in the window. The world, she thinks, has changed.'

Isn't that the truest thing, ever?

People who can express themselves through words are soo lucky. I just get stuck. People have asked me to review books and I just think how will I be able to explain how much I love 'The Fault In Our Stars'? Or how drastically 'The Book Thief' changed me? Or how 'The Clockwork Princess' made me shed buckets of tears? in just a couple of words? A few paragraphs is the limit given to me to convince someone to give this book a chance. Impossible is what I think. I still attempt it sometimes cause never give up yeah?


As always thanks for reading my ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment