Monday, February 17, 2014

The Book Thief.

So in almost every one of my blog posts I mention my love for 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. Finally, I'm gonna be talking about it.

I read 'The Book Thief' for the first time back in August of last year. I remember going home and I was traveling by train. If any of you have read this book you'll know that there's a very important train scene. 16 August. That was the date I finished it. I was in this cabin in the train with me in the middle bunk and my cousin above me. He kept knocking from his bunk trying to tell me something irrelevant while I was under my blanket crying my eyes out. I'd just finished the book.

It's not that this book has an amazing storyline or something. The genre's kind of historical fiction. Set during Hitler's time. World War ||. There are a billion books written about this time. How cruel the days were. How hard it was to just be. No, that's not why me along with millions of others love this book.


I love it because the narrative is amazing. Because the words touch your soul. Because it's written in such a unique way. It's written by Death. That enough was to make me love it. Death isn't a narrator we readers come across easily. Infact I'm sure many of us have never read a single book written by Death. I love it because it's beautiful and it makes you feel. Feeling is amazing. Every page. Every sentence. Every word makes you feel. And does it feel good. Before reading this book I didn't know that my heart was capable of feeling so much at the same time.


This book changed me. I'm a firm believer in the fact that books can change you. Every book teaches you something. This book taught me the most. To feel. To cherish. To never regret. And to love.


Whenever I recommend this book to someone, I don't tell them to read it. I tell them to experience it. It's a rollercoaster of emotions. And not the kiddie one. Definitely not that one. So here I am. Hoping someone reads this book because of me and goes through the same amazing journey that I did.
Experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment